Is it time for your annual eye exam? Do you find yourself putting off making that appointment because you don’t want to spend the money? Luckily, there are things that you can do to make eye exams more affordable. While no one likes to spend money on health-related expenses, visiting the eye doctor is necessary for your overall health and wellbeing.
Easy Ways to Save on Vision Related Expenses
There are some simple ways to save on vision-related expenses that will make your annual exams less painful for your pocketbook, including:
- Get vision insurance. If you don’t have vision insurance, now is a great time to get it. While not all vision insurance is created equal, the insurance can help you afford exams, contacts, and glasses. When you have insurance, you may have the benefit of affordable co-pays or authorized amounts, and allowances for contacts, frames, and lenses.
- Look for specials. Even if you have insurance, it is a good idea to shop around for specials. If you have an eye doctor that you love, call and ask them if they are running any specials or ask if they will match the specials of other local doctors in town. You may be surprised by the offerings that you can take advantage of just by asking. If you don’t have a doctor that you love, now is a good time to look at sites such as Groupon or others where you can often buy services for great prices.
- Shop around for glasses. While your eye doctor may offer a great selection of frames, there is nothing to say that you have to buy your glasses from them. Once you have your exam, you can take your prescription anywhere you would like. There are many great online services such as Zenni Optical that allow you to choose from an extensive selection of frames for a mere fraction of the price you would pay at the eye doctor because you aren’t paying retail prices.
- Keep your frames. Do you still like your current frames? A great way to save money is not to spring for new frames every year. Instead, simply have your eye doctor order new lenses with your new prescription. If you have insurance, the insurance will usually cover 100% of your lenses every year.
- Considering buying contacts online. After your exam, your doctor will offer to order your contacts for you, but when you buy through them you are likely going to pay a higher premium. Many online sources can provide you with the same products for much less. For instance, 1-800-Contacts can supply you with the brand names you know and trust and usually much more affordably than your doctor.
As you can see, there are some simple ways that you can make your eye exams more affordable. Making your optical health a priority doesn’t have to break the bank when you plan for it with these simple tips!
Let Best Vision Now Help You Find a Doctor
Best Vision Now wants your optical health to be as simple and straight forward as possible. Not only do we want to help you find the most cost-effective ways to get the eye care you need, but we also want to help you find the best doctors. Check out our listings to find a doctor near you for all of your annual eye exams!